Are you a fan of BBC’s hit series Happy Valley? Are you excited to explore the breathtaking Happy Valley Filming Locations? If yes, then you are in for a treat.
Scroll below to use our interactive map to explore Happy Valley filming locations, including those around Hebden Bridge, Halifax, Wainstalls and Warley that Sally Wainright has integrated into her plots. You’ll get to know the Happy Valley filming locations where Sarah Lancashire, the star of the show, brought her character Catherine Cawood to life.
Introduction to the Happy Valley TV Series
Happy Valley is a British crime drama series created by Sally Wainwright and produced by Red Production Company. It was first broadcast on BBC One on the 29th of April, 2014. The series follows the story of Catherine Cawood, a policewoman in West Yorkshire who is struggling to come to terms with the suicide of her daughter. When her antagonist Tommy Lee Royce is released from prison, Catherine finds herself at the centre of a thrilling and dangerous cat-and-mouse chase.
The series was praised for its writing, acting, direction and location choice. It quickly became a fans’ favorite and earned numerous awards, including three BAFTAs. It also won Sally Wainwright the Royal Television Society Award for Best Writer and the BAFTA for Best Drama Writer.
The lead character of Catherine Cawood was portrayed by Sarah Lancashire, who won a BAFTA for her performance. Her portrayal of a strong and resilient woman in a difficult situation resonated with audiences. She has been praised for her ability to bring a true-to-life vulnerability to the character, as well as her knack for bringing out the nuances of the character’s inner life.
There are 3 main elements that have led to the phenomenal success of the show
- Sally Wainright’s Writing
- Masterclass Acting from the Happy Valley Stars including Sarah Lancashire and James Norton
- The Stunning Cinematographic Calderdale Locations
Behind the Scenes of Happy Valley
The series was filmed on location in and around the town and countryside of Halifax in West Yorkshire. The majority of the filming was done in Calderdale, a district in West Yorkshire of which Halifax is the principal town. This area is known for its stunning landscape and breathtaking views, which make it the perfect setting for the series. Calderdale is the most southerly of the Yorkshire Dales but is not in the official Yorkshire Dales National Park.
Much of the filming was done in and around Hebden Bridge, a small town in Calderdale. It’s a picturesque town with a lot of character, and it was the perfect backdrop for the series. The series also used several other locations in Calderdale including Heptonstall, Ripponden, Sowerby Bridge, Elland, Boothtown, High Road Well, Wainstalls and Halifax town centre.
The majority of Happy Valley filming locations are in Calderdale, but some Happy Valley filming locations are not in “Happy Valley” – these include Bolton in Greater Manchester – the disused old magistrate’s court was an ideal Happy Valley filming location for Tommy Lee Royce’s dramatic escape from the dock.
Where is Happy Valley and how do I get there?
Happy Valley is in Calderdale, a district of West Yorkshire. Halifax is the principal town, with its beautiful and iconic Georgian Piece Hall now home to bars, restaurants, independent shops and gigs by global artists; and near the other end of the valley is Hebden Bridge a small town known for its weavers’ cottages, independent shops and bars.
Travel to Happy Valley by Car
Halifax is 30 miles from Manchester and 20 miles from Leeds and is accessed and served by the M62 motorway junctions 22, 24 and 26.
Travel to Happy Valley by Train
The Happy Valley has the scenic Caldervale Line running through it’s entire length, with stops at Halifax, Sowerby Bridge, Mytholmeroyd, Hebden Bridge and Todmorden. There are direct trains from York, Leeds, Bradford, Manchester, Blackpool North and Chester. Grand Central has direct trains to Halifax from London Kings Cross and Doncaster.
Travel to Happy Valley by Bike
Sustrans Cycle Routes 66 and 68 are both are part of the National Cycle Network and they run through Calderdale. Route 66 mostly follows the canal from Brighouse to Sowerby Bridge, Hebden Bridge, Mythholmeroyd and Todmorden and then on to Manchester.
Explore Happy Valley by Canal Boat
Shire Cruisers have a base in Sowerby Bridge and they have short break rental packages for first-timers or experienced hands. Of course, you could always take your own boat to Happy Valley!
Shire Cruisers have their base in the canal basin behind The Moorings Pub – it’s the location of the scene where Neil is drunk and topless!
For a pleasant interlude, perhaps take a short cruise aboard Gracie the Hebden Bridge Canal Boat – she moors outside The Stubbing Wharf Pub in Hebden Bridge.
Explore the Breathtaking Landscape of Hebden Bridge
Hebden Bridge is a charming town in Calderdale and one of the most popular filming locations for the series. It’s a popular tourist destination due to its stunning landscape and unique architecture. The town is also known for its numerous venues including Hebden Bridge Picture House and Trades Club, independent shops, pubs, bars and cafes.
Exploring Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley is a must for any fan of the series. Hebden Bridge is a great place to explore the work of local artists and pick up some unique souvenirs. For a more active experience, you can take a hike in the nearby hills and enjoy the breathtaking views and of course and then, back in Hebden Bridge, take the chance to take a selfie outside the real Nisa shop in Hebden Bridge where Neil worked!
Happy Valley Filming Locations Bucket List – Plan Places To Visit
- Catherine Cawood’s House in Hebden Bridge
- Neil’s Shop in Hebden Bridge
- Clare & Neil’s Flat in Hebden Bridge
- Hebden Bridge Mill used for Greek restaurant Scene
- Fictional Location of Becky’s Grave (True location of poet Sylvia Plath’s grave)
- Tuel Lane opening shot location
- Canal location where Tommy Lee Royce hides
- The Curry House
- The Moorings Pub – drunk topless Neil scene
- Bridge from which DS John Wordsworth jumps
- Nevison’s Mansion
- Where Teacher Rob Hepworth lives and where wife Joanna was murdered
- The police Station in Series 1 & 2
- Police Station in Series 3
- Ryburn Valley High School – Where Ryan goes and teacher Rob works
- Alison’s flat when released from prison
- Failsals pharmacy (a private house in real life)
- Crematorium where Lyn Dewhurst was cremated
- Wills O’ Nat Pub
- Rico’s Shop where Tommy Lee Royce changes into cycling gear
- The cafe where Catherine confronts her sister Clare
- Ann Gallagher and Daniel Cawood’s House
- ‘Sheffield’ steps where Catherine follows her sister Clare
- Greater Leeds Crown Court in Bolton
- Nevison’s factory (Lowfields, Elland)
- Nevison’s 2nd factory (Slaithwaite)
- Knezevic Safehouse
- Clare and Neil’s allotment
- West View Park – Man found hanged
- Fictional Red Light area
- Bell Street Cafe
- Holdsworth House – Historic hotel where Richard arranged to meet Darius for an interview
- Faisal’s daughters’ School – Rishworth Independent School
- The Old Fire Station Cafe in Elland – Catherine has serious chats with Nevison
- Ryan’s Tuel Lane Infant School
- Fields where Tommy Lee Royce kills car driver in last ever episode
- Tommy Lee Royce’s Safehouse when he escapes from prison
- Lane where Tommy Lee Royce is told to get in the car boot – refuses
- Knead Pizzaria near Ricci’s and Halifax Town Hall – Catherine and Richard meet
- Eight Sixteen Coffee Dean Clough Mills – Catherine and Richard meet
- Hebden Bridge Railway Station – Ryan is on his way to see Tommy lee Royce
Happy Valley is one of the most popular series on BBC and has a loyal fan base. Exploring the Happy Valley filming locations in Calderdale is a great way to get a behind-the-scenes look at the series and experience the stunning landscape and real-life that was used as the backdrop for the series.
So, pack your bags and join Sally Wainwright, Sarah Lancashire and James Norton’s masterpiece to recall the journeys they have taken you on – in some of the most beautiful regions of Yorkshire. You’ll get to know the locations where Sarah Lancashire so skillfully brought her character, Catherine Cawood, to life.
So, what are you waiting for? It’s time to explore the breathtaking locations of BBC’s Happy Valley TV Series brought to your attention by the very talented local to Happy Valley woman Sally Wainwright!
Happy Valley Filming Locations Interactive Map – Plan Places To Visit
Use our Happy Valley Map – Click on the PlanPlacesToVisit flag icons for Happy Valley Film Locations and descriptions plus directions, should you need them, by clicking the red/white arrow icon and choose your method of travel: car, train, walking or air travel.
Finally, you should also plan to explore the surrounding area. There are a number of attractions in the Halifax area so you should take the time to explore them. Our current suggestions are:
Shibden Hall – the Home of Anne Lister (Gentleman Jack)
The Piece Hall Halifax – The only remaining Georgian Cloth Hall in the World
Halifax Pubs – BBC Radio 6 Music calls Halifax the Shoreditch of the North
Weekend in Halifax – ideas of what to do and where to go
Or perhaps you’d like to see what Manchester City Centre has to offer for a day outing or perhaps a weekend away – click here for our comprehensive article